Desert Storm

Desert Storm

On August 2, 1990, Saddam Hussein, the leader of Iraq, sent his tanks into the small semi-democracy of Kuwait in the Persian Gulf. Within days, the United States, along with the United Nations, demanded Iraq’s immediate withdrawal from this small independent nation. The U.S. and other UN member nations began deploying troops in Saudi Arabia within the week. Under UN authority, a world-wide coalition began to form. Among them were, England, France, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Syria. The coalition would total 680,000 troops, 415,000 Americans and 245,000 from allied nations.

Intense diplomacy between U.S. and Iraqi officials failed to bring an Iraqi withdrawal. On January 16, 1991, Allied forces began the devastating bombing of Iraq and Iraqi forces in Kuwait.

When the Allied armies started the ground war on February 23, the Iraqi occupation forces in Kuwait were already beaten. Thousands of Iraqi soldiers simply gave up rather than fight.

By February 26, U.S. and Allied Arab forces, along with the underground Kuwaiti Resistance, controlled Kuwait City and Allied air forces pounded the retreating Iraqi occupation army.

On February 27, President George H. Bush ordered a cease-fire. On March 3, 1991, Iraq accepted the terms of the cease-fire and the fighting ended.

The Motts Military Museum highlights many significant items and personal stories to document this act of aggression in the Persian Gulf.

     This 105mm artillery
     piece was captured from
     Iraqi troops by the 82nd Airborne
     Division and donated to the Museum
     by that division with the help of
     board member Mel Gerhold.




     Captured Iraqi shirt and gear from
     a bunker in Kuwait City and sent
     to the Museum by Maj. Kevin
     Bennett. Pictured with the shirt are:
     canteen belt and webbing (left);
     an Iraqi gasmask (right); and an
     Iraqi ammo belt with two AK-47
     clips (center).




     This is a Saudi Arabian medal given for the
     liberation of Kuwait during the Gulf War.