The Motts Military Museum, with the tireless efforts of Richard Hoerle is proud to present, on our museum grounds, a historically accurate, “Replica” of the boyhood home of Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker. With the help of our many volunteers, generous patriotic individuals and corporations, the construction of this, full scale replica was made possible.

With the help of the “Capt. Eddie” family, we have furnished the interior of the house as it was when Capt. Eddie lived there. With various “Capt Eddie” memorabilia displayed throughout the house, we believe this will assist the educational process for future generations about the life and times of this American patriot.









When World War One started, Eddie Rickenbacker was 26 years old, too old to enter flight training. Eddie Rickenbacker wanted to fly. He went to France, learned to fly, became an officer and was assigned to the 94th Aero Squadron, becoming its commanding officer. He became an American “Ace of Aces” with 26 aerial victories. Eddie was also the recipient of the Medal Of Honor for action in France. On September 25, 1918, on a voluntary patrol, he discovered 7 enemy planes. He attacked against those odds and shot down 2 enemy planes.

After the war, Capt. Eddie traveled on lecture tours and produced the Rickenbacker automobile until 1928. In 1927 he purchased the Indianapolis 500 Motor Speedway, and sold it in 1945 to the present owners. In 1934, Eddie became the General Manager of Eastern Airlines. He retired as its CEO in 1963.

Until he died in 1973, he lectured and toured as a true patriot of the United States of America.


Rickenbacker House. Photo from the National Historic Landmarks collection

From 1895 to 1922, this was the Columbus, Ohio, home of famed World War I aviator Edward “Eddie” Vernon Rickenbacker (right photo). Eddie, a leading race car driver prior to World War I, joined the American Expeditionary Force as a sergeant and staff driver in 1917. He sailed to France the next month with John J. Pershing and his staff. Although overage and not a high school graduate, Rickenbacker, with the assistance of William “Billy” Mitchell, received an assignment to flight school. After 17 days at the French aviation school at Tours, Eddie received his wings and a commission as first lieutenant; however, he was assigned to the Advanced Flight School at Issoudun as an engineering officer, not a pilot. Eventually he was transferred to the 94th Aero Pursuit Squadron, where on April 14, 1918, he took part in the “first combat mission ever ordered by an American commander of an American squadron of American pilots.” Rickenbacker became commander of the squadron on September 24. The next day he single-handedly took on seven German planes over the German lines and shot down two of them—an act for which he was belatedly awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1930. In six months he shot down 26 German aircraft—22 airplanes and four balloons.


Captain Rickenbacker. Photo from Clipart.com

Eddie Rickenbacker returned home after the end of the war as the idol of the American public, the “American Ace of Aces.” He refused offers to make movies or endorse products, but he did publish his war memoir entitled Fighting the Flying Circus. He married Adelaide F. Durrant in 1922 and founded the Rickenbacker Motor Company, which went bankrupt in 1927. Eddie then joined General Motors where he worked in both their automobile and aircraft divisions, before a venture of several years to build his own brand of Rickenbacker automobiles. In 1938 he purchased Eastern Airlines from General Motors, making it the “first airline to operate without a subsidy from the Federal government.” During World War II Rickenbacker toured American bases at home and abroad as a special civilian consultant for Secretary of War Henry Stimson. On one of these tours to the South Pacific, Eddie’s airplane became lost, ran out of fuel and had to land in the ocean. His book Seven Came Through describes the 24 days he and the crew spent adrift on life rafts before being found. After the war, Rickenbacker returned to Eastern Airlines as Chairman of the Board, a position he held until his retirement in 1963 at age 73. In October 1972 Eddie Rickenbacker suffered a stroke, and he died in Zurich on July 24, 1973. Courtesy of National Park Service

In 1974, Lockbourne AFB, just several miles from our museum, was renamed Rickenbacker AFB.